- ProductsProductsPI is a worldwide leading supplier of solutions in the fields of motion and positioning. PI does not only develop and produce a broad range of positioning stages and actuators for linear, rotary and vertical motion or combinations of different axes. PI also adapts those solutions to customer-specific applications or supplies finished subsystems for motion and positioning.
- New ProductsNew Products
- Product FinderProduct FinderSelect the product type specified by the axes of motion required. Selection of more criteria expands or shortens the list of results. Select more than one filter at a time, for example, to find positioning stages designed for higher load capacity, too.
- Customized ProductsCustomized ProductsPI is fully at home where unconventional solutions are in demand. This is no longer limited to fields of research. Today, nanotechnology is also present in standardized industrial processes.
- Nanopositioning Piezo Flexure StagesNanopositioning Piezo Flexure StagesPI's piezo flexure stages combine sub-nanometer resolution and guiding precision with minimum crosstalk.
- Multi-Axis Piezo Flexure StagesMulti-Axis Piezo Flexure Stages
- PIFOC® Objective & PInano® Sample Scanners for MicroscopyPIFOC® Objective & PInano® Sample Scanners for Microscopy
- Linear Piezo Flexure StagesLinear Piezo Flexure Stages
- XY Piezo Flexure StagesXY Piezo Flexure Stages
- XYZ Piezo Flexure ScannersXYZ Piezo Flexure Scanners3-Axis Nanopositioning Scanners of Maximum Precision
- Piezo Flexure Tilting MirrorsPiezo Flexure Tilting Mirrors
- Multi-Axis Piezo Flexure Stages
- Miniature StagesMiniature StagesMiniaturized stages and manipulators are essential in mobile applications for measuring and medical devices, in industrial microassembly or use for research, e.g. in UHV and non-magnetic environments.
- Miniature Linear StagesMiniature Linear Stages
- Miniature Rotation StagesMiniature Rotation Stages
- Miniature HexapodsMiniature Hexapods
- Miniature Linear Stages
- Linear StagesLinear StagesPI offers a wide range of motorized linear stages to supply high-precision industrial markets like semiconductor and photonics, as well as high-end research. Vacuum versions are available for a large number of different models. Multi-axis compositions can be set up with adapter brackets or specialized vertical stages and compatible rotation stages.
- Stages with Magnetic Direct-Drive Linear MotorStages with Magnetic Direct-Drive Linear Motor
- Stages with Stepper, DC & Brushless DC (BLDC) MotorsStages with Stepper, DC & Brushless DC (BLDC) Motors
- Vertical Stages with Stepper, DC & Brushless DC (BLDC) MotorsVertical Stages with Stepper, DC & Brushless DC (BLDC) Motors
- Miniature Linear StagesMiniature Linear Stages
- Stages with Magnetic Direct-Drive Linear Motor
- Linear ActuatorsLinear ActuatorsChoose from the widest range of technologies the optimum for your special demands: Set-and-forget applications benefit from the specific features of piezomotors that provide excellent long-term stability, also for vacuum or nonmagnetic environments. Stepper and DC motor solutions are well-established and reliable for both industrial and research use.
- PiezoMike for Long-Term StabilityPiezoMike for Long-Term Stability
- Linear Actuators with Stepper & DC Servo MotorsLinear Actuators with Stepper & DC Servo Motors
- PIMag® VC Voice Coil Actuators with High Dynamics & Force Control OptionPIMag® VC Voice Coil Actuators with High Dynamics & Force Control Option
- PiezoMove Lever ActuatorsPiezoMove Lever Actuators
- Nanopositioning Piezo ActuatorsNanopositioning Piezo Actuators
- PiezoWalk® Actuators with High Force & StabilityPiezoWalk® Actuators with High Force & Stability
- PIRest Active Piezo ShimsPIRest Active Piezo Shims
- PiezoMike for Long-Term Stability
- Rotation StagesRotation StagesPI offers stages with all kinds of motorization and guiding options: air-bearing, torque motor driven, motorized worm-gear coupled, tiny piezomotor stages and specialized goniometer stages with orthogonal tip-tilt mounting option.
- XY StagesXY StagesStability, precision and dynamics are crucial in the application fields of PI’s XY stages. They are the basis of high throughput rates and reliable operation. PI makes use of own developments in the fields of PIMag® magnetic linear motors and PIglide air bearings. Industrial production and quality control benefit from PI’s high-load XY stages and planar scanners.
- HexapodsHexapodsHexapods provide six degrees of freedom in the most compact package. In combination with absolute measuring sensors, software and motion controllers that make the most complicated motion profiles easy to command, PI hexapods answer industrial requirements.
- Engineered Subsystems for AutomationEngineered Subsystems for AutomationPrecision components, stable control and a great deal of experience in engineering are essential for high-precision complex motion and positioning solutions. PI is a supplier of technologically sophisticated drive components and high-precision positioners and also offers all levels of integration for engineered subsystems.
- Fast Multi-Channel Photonics AlignmentFast Multi-Channel Photonics Alignment SystemsPiezo scanners take care of fast, continuous scanning tasks, where durability, dynamics, and precision matter. The larger travel ranges are realized with XYZ combinations or 6-axis hexapods. Integrated routines make it possible to perform single-axis alignments up to complex, multi-axis fiber array positioning within the shortest possible time.
- Motion Control SoftwareMotion Control SoftwareAll digital controllers made by PI are accompanied by an extensive software package.
- User Programs and Their FunctionsUser Programs and Their Functions
- Software Tools for HexapodsSoftware Tools for Hexapods
- Third Party SupportThird Party Support
- Software Products for Special ApplicationsSoftware Products for Special Applications
- Controllers & DriversControllers & DriversThe decision for a motion controller depends on the specific application situation. Various criteria, such as limited installation space, the number of axes or the type of control, determine which controller is the right one. PI offers a broad spectrum of controls and regulation concepts.
- Nanopositioning Piezo ControllersNanopositioning Piezo Controllers
- Piezo Drivers for Open-Loop Operation of Piezo ActuatorsPiezo Drivers for Open-Loop Operation of Piezo Actuators
- Motion Controllers & Drivers for Linear, Torque, Stepper & DC Servo MotorsMotion Controllers & Drivers for Linear, Torque, Stepper & DC Servo Motors
- Controllers & Drivers for PiezomotorsControllers & Drivers for Piezomotors
- Controller Systems for Multiple Axes & Mixed Drive TypesController Systems for Multiple Axes & Mixed Drive Types
- Hexapod Motion ControllersHexapod Motion Controllers
- ACS Motion ControlACS Motion Control for Industrial Automation
- Nanopositioning Piezo Controllers
- Piezoelectric Transducers & ActuatorsPiezoelectric Transducers & ActuatorsPiezoelectric ultrasonic transducers are available in a wide range of shapes like disks, plates or tubes, and different performance levels. They can be adapted to application requirements by using different piezoceramic materials, electrodes, and assembling technology.
- Discs, Rods and CylindersPiezoceramic Discs, Rods & Cylinders
- Plates and BlocksPiezoceramic Plates & Blocks
- RingsPiezoceramic Rings
- TubesPiezoceramic Tubes
- Spheres and HemispheresPiezoceramic Spheres & Hemispheres
- Bending ElementsPiezoceramic Bending Elements
- Tube ActuatorsPiezo Tube Actuators
- PICMA® Piezo Linear ActuatorsPICMA® Piezo Linear Actuators
- PICMA® Piezo Bender ActuatorsPICMA® Piezo Bender Actuators
- PICA Piezoelectric Stack ActuatorsPICA Piezoelectric Stack Actuators
- PICA Shear ActuatorsPICA Shear Actuators
- DuraAct Patch TransducersDuraAct Patch Transducers
- Picoactuator® Piezoelectric CrystalPicoactuator® Piezoelectric Crystal
- Discs, Rods and Cylinders
- Air Bearings & StagesAir Bearings & StagesAir bearing stages are used where vibration-free motion is required, velocity needs to be highly constant, and optimum angular repeatability is requested.
- Sensors, Components & AccessoriesSensors, Components & Accessories
- VacuumProduct Series with Vacuum-Ready ItemsPI offers specific catalogue items for selected product series that are already suitable for high vacuum (HV) or ultra-high vacuum (UHV).
- New Products
- OEMOEMCustomer- and application-specific product developments form the basis for success at PI. To this purpose, requirements have to be understood and a technological solution has to be found.
- ApplicationsApplications & MarketsPI positioning systems are employed where technology is pushed forward in industry and research. This is done, for example, in semiconductor manufacturing, in medical engineering, in biotechnology, in plant engineering, in surface metrology, or in astronomy.
- Hexapods Support Industrial RobotsHexapods Support Industrial Robots
- Scientific InstrumentationScientific Instrumentation
- Hexapod Systems for ALMAHexapod Systems for ALMA
- Double-Crystal MonochromatorDouble-Crystal Monochromator for an X-Ray Spectrometer
- Materials Research in High VacuumMaterials Research in High Vacuum
- Active Vibration Isolation with Piezo ActuatorsActive Vibration Isolation with Piezo Actuators
- Drive Technology for the ELTDrive Technology for the ELT
- Hexapod Systems for ALMA
- Semiconductor TechnologySemiconductor Technology
- Confocal MicroscopyAdjustment of the Focal Planes in Confocal Microscopy
- Positioning Solutions for Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence Microscopy (TIRFM)Positioning Solutions for Total Internal Reflection Fluorescence Microscopy (TIRFM)
- High-Speed MicroscopyHigh-Speed Microscopy for Quality Control
- Atomic Force MicroscopyAFM Scanner for Atomic Force Microscopy
- White Light Interferometry3-D Surface Inspection With Piezo-Based Positioning Systems from PI
- Flamingo Lightsheet Fluorescence MicroscopyFlamingo Lightsheet Fluorescence Microscopy
- IsoView Light Sheet MicroscopeIsoView Light Sheet Microscope
- Electron MicroscopyElectron Microscopy
- Confocal Microscopy
- Silicon PhotonicsSilicon Photonics
- Photonics PackagingAutomated Photonics Packaging
- Optical Fiber AlignmentSimultaneous Testing of Optical Components in Silicon Photonics
- Photonics Packaging
- Medical TechnologyMedical Technology
- EndoscopyVariable Focusing and Sharp Focus for Endoscopic Applications
- Surgical Robots for OphthalmologySurgical Robots for Ophthalmology
- Magnetic Resonance ImagingNonsensitive Drives for Magnetic Resonance Tomography
- Optical Coherence TomographyPiezo Technology and Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
- PipettingPiezomotors for Pipetting and Nanodispensing
- Precision DosingDynamic Drives for Precision Dosing with Nanodispensers
- MicropumpsPiezoelectric Micropumps – Compact Design and High Performance
- Image StabilizationImage Stabilization and Microscanning with Piezo Scanners
- Adaptive Diaphragm PositioningAdaptive Diaphragm Positioning
- Positioning Solutions for Whole Genome SequencingPositioning Solutions for Whole Genome Sequencing
- Materials ResearchMaterials Research
- Parallel Kinematics for Materials ResearchHigh-Load Parallel Kinematics for Materials Research
- Laser Beam ControlPiezo Drives for Laser Beam Control
- Parallel Kinematics for Materials Research
- Mechanical EngineeringMechanical Engineering
- Electrical Discharge MachiningPiezo Actuators Accelerate Electrical Discharge Machining
- Hexapods in Mechanical EngineeringHexapods in Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Discharge Machining
- Smarter Motion PositioningSmarter Motion Positioning
- Hexapods in MicroproductionHexapods in Microproduction
- Hexapods for Quality AssuranceHexapods for Quality Assurance
- Magnetic Direct DrivesMagnetic Direct Drives
- Motion Simulation with HexapodsMotion Simulation with Hexapods
- Flexibility in Dimensional MeasuringHexapod Systems in Automation
- Motion Compensation with HexapodsMotion Compensation with HexapodsDynamic hexapods with piezo drives: Best conditions for motion compensation.
- Fast Piezo Ultrasonic Drives Advance TechnologyFast Piezo Ultrasonic Drives Advance Technology
- Laser Material ProcessingLaser Material Processing
- Hexapods for Optical MetrologyHexapods Support Precise Measurement of Aspheres
- Smarter Motion Positioning
- Beamline InstrumentationBeamline Instrumentation
- Tomography EquipmentTomography Equipment
- Synchrotron Spectroscopy in VacuumSynchrotron Spectroscopy in Vacuum
- Beam PreparationBeam Preparation
- Sample Positioning for TomographySample Positioning for Tomography
- Accelerator TechnologyAccelerator Technology
- Tomography Equipment
- Additive ManufacturingAdditive Manufacturing
- Active AlignmentActive Alignment
- TechnologyKnow-How & TechnologyPI combines its long-term experience in micro and nanopositioning technology with in-depth knowledge in the fields of mechanics, electronics, sensor engineering, and software. Thus, PI is able to offer its customers the most advanced drive technologies and system solutions.
- Piezo TechnologyPiezo TechnologyPI Ceramic offers a wealth of experience in the manufacturing of piezoceramic materials, components, and actuators. The piezoceramic materials can be adapted individually to perfectly fit the later use of the piezo components.
- Fundamentals of Piezo TechnologyFundamentals of Piezo TechnologyPhysical basics and explanations of piezo electricity and electromechanics.
- Properties of Piezo ActuatorsProperties of Piezo Actuators
- Piezoceramic MaterialsPiezoceramic MaterialsPI Ceramic offers a variety of different piezoelectric materials including lead-free materials.
- Manufacturing TechnologyManufacturing Technology
- PICMA® TechnologyPICMA® Technology
- Integrated Piezo ActuatorsIntegrated Piezo Actuators
- DuraAct Patch Transducer TechnologyDuraAct Patch Transducer Technology
- PIRest ActuatorsPIRest ActuatorsActive shims with long-term stability and nanometer resolution.
- Fundamentals of Piezo Technology
- Piezoelectric DrivesPiezoelectric DrivesDepending on the configuration and control, piezoceramic actuators can be used to create translational motions or as motors with a virtually unlimited travel range. The choice of drive depends on the requirements of the application.
- Piezo ActuatorsPiezo Actuators with and without Guiding
- PiezoWalk® Walking DrivesPiezoWalk® Walking Drives
- PILine® Ultrasonic PiezomotorsPILine® Ultrasonic Piezomotors
- Piezo Inertia DrivesPiezo Inertia Drives
- PiezoMike Linear ActuatorsPiezoMike Linear Actuators
- Comparison: Piezo Motors & Drive TechnologiesComparison: Piezo Motors & Drive Technologies
- Piezo Actuators
- Electromagnetic DrivesElectromagnetic DrivesRotating electric motors such as DC or stepper motors are used in connection with screw or worm drives. Stepper motor systems with high-resolution encoders can perform minimum incremental motions of 10 nm with high reliability and repeatability.
- Rotating Electric MotorsRotating Electric Motors from PI
- Magnetic Direct DrivesMagnetic Direct Drives
- PIMag® 6-D Magnetic LevitationPIMag® 6-D Magnetic Levitation at Six Levels of Freedom
- Hybrid ConceptPiezo & Motor Hybrid Concept
- Rotating Electric Motors
- Parallel KinematicsParallel KinematicsIn a parallel-kinematic, multi-axis system, all actuators act directly on a single moving platform. This means that all axes can be designed with identical dynamic properties, thus reducing the moved mass considerably. Hexapods are used for moving and precision positioning, aligning and displacing loads in all six degrees of freedom, i.e., three linear and three rotational axes.
- Parallel KinematicsPiezo Positioning Systems with Parallel KinematicsIn a parallel-kinematic, multi-axis system, all actuators act directly on a single moving platform.
- Multi-Axis PositionersMulti-Axis Positioners and Stewart Platforms
- Hexapod as Motion SimulatorHexapod as Motion SimulatorMotion simulators have higher motion dynamics requirements (shakers).
- Parallel Kinematics
- Sensor TechnologiesSensor TechnologiesThe linearity and repeatability achieved are not possible without highest-resolution measuring devices. Accuracies in the range of a few nanometers and below require a position measurement method that can also detect motion in this range.
- Capacitive SensorsCapacitance Nanosensors
- Incremental SensorsLinear Scale Encoders for Nanometrology & Nanopositioning
- PIOne Optical Nanometrology EncoderPIOne Optical Nanometrology Encoder
- Comparison: Position Sensor TechnologiesComparison: Nanopositioning Sensor Technologies
- Capacitive Sensors
- Controllers & SoftwareControllers & SoftwareFast settling or extremely smooth low speed motion, high positional stability, high resolution and high dynamics – the requirements placed on piezo systems vary greatly and need drivers and controllers with a high degree of flexibility.
- Digital & Analog InterfacesDigital & Analog Interfaces
- EtherCAT Connectivity of PI ProductsEtherCAT Connectivity of PI Products
- Control of Piezo ActuatorsPiezo Controllers & Drivers for Nanopositioning Systems
- Digital Motion ControllersDigital Motion Controllers
- SoftwareMotion Control Software from PI
- Active AlignmentActive Alignment
- Digital & Analog Interfaces
- Guiding Systems & Force TransmissionGuiding Systems & Force TransmissionFlexure joints, mechanical guide components or magnetic bearings? Which kind of guiding system PI uses in its products depends on parameters such as travel range, required precision, load, lifetime, and ambient conditions.
- Classical Guiding SystemsComparison: Classical Guiding Systems and Force Transmission
- Flexure Guiding SystemsFlexure Guiding Systems for Nanopositioning & Piezo Actuators
- Magnetic BearingsMagnetic Levitation & Precision Bearings for NanopositioningMagnetic levitation allows excellent guiding accuracy in a plane, both linear and rotational.
- PIglide Air Bearing TechnologyPIglide Air Bearing TechnologyMulti-axis motion with nanometer precision and without friction.
- Classical Guiding Systems
- VacuumPositioning in High Vacuum (HV) and Ultrahigh Vacuum (UHV)Careful handling, adequate premises: PI does not only have the necessary equipment for the qualification of materials, components and final products, but also has many years of experience with regard to HV und UHV positioning systems.
- GlossaryPI Glossary for Technical TermsFind useful explanations of technical terms in the PI Glossary.
- News & EventsNews & Events
- PI-Japan E-Newsletter AbonnementPI-Japan E-Newsletter Abonnement
- NewsNews & PressLatest news on PI: Browse our news archive.
- Trade Fairs and EventsTrade Fairs and Events
- Virtual Trade Show StandsWelcome to Our Virtual Trade Show Stands!
- Virtual Trade Show Stands
- PI Youtube ChannelSubscribe to Headquarters Youtube ChannelFind videos about our products, technologies and applications.
- PI LinkedIn ProfileFollow our LinkedIn ProfileGet weekly updates about our products and technologies.
- About PIAbout PIPI stands for technical excellence and continuous advance in precision positioning – driven by the passion for technology and its use in customer applications. The target of the PI Group is to develop this market and technological leadership even further and therefore secure a decisive competitive advantage for its customers.
- Technology CenterTechnology CenterThe technology center provides space not only for offices but also for application labs, metrology labs, and cleanrooms for vacuum or cryogenic chambers.
- Fractal Manufacturing Structure at PIFractal Manufacturing Structure at PIPI manufactures in autonomous organization fractals. Each unit is responsible for its own product line, has all the necessary skills and production equipment.
- MetrologyMetrologyPI qualifies its products with external measuring equipment. These are calibrated in part and traceable to a national standard. Using the PIOne incremental encoder and capacitive sensors, PI manufactures own metrology for inclusion in PI products.
- Manufacturing in Cleanrooms at PIManufacturing in Cleanrooms at PIPI has the capability to manufacture and qualify products under cleanroom conditions, which is extended and improved continually according to market needs.
- Heavy Load HallHeavy Duty Hall for Positioning Systems Weighing Several TonsThe product range from a two-ton hexapod to a ten-gram nanopositioner requires that PI can both manufacture and qualify these systems. For this reason, PI operates a heavy duty hall at its location in Karlsruhe for the assembly and measurement of masses up to five tons.
- Certified QualityCertified QualityPI aims to apply the same high quality, safety and environmental protection standards worldwide. The Integrated Management System reflects this commitment.
- The PI GroupThe PI GroupPI stands for technical excellence and continuous advance in precision positioning – driven by the passion for technology and its use in customer applications.
- About PI miCosPI miCos GmbH, GermanyAs a member of the PI Group, PI miCos makes a strong contribution in the field engineered systems and is the center of expertise for positioning systems with magnetic drives.
- About ACS Motion ControlAbout ACS Motion ControlACS Motion Control is an OEM-focused supplier of motion controller and drive solutions for high-tech systems in fields such as semiconductor manufacturing, laser processing, additive manufacturing, flat panel display manufacturing, electronic assembly, life sciences, and more. Headquartered in Israel, ACS has technical sales and support offices in the USA, Germany, China, and South Korea. ACS joined the PI Group in January 2017, when PI became a majority shareholder of ACS Motion Control.
- PI WorldwidePI WorldwideThe PI Group represented by subsidiaries and dealers all over the world. Check here to find your local contact!
- How to Get to PI JapanHow to Get to PI Japan
- New Release! Motorized Linear StageNew Release! Motorized Linear Stage with High Speed, High Accuracy and Excellent Cost Performance
- PI Japan BlogPI Japan BlogFind news on products, technologies and applications, and information on trade fairs and other events.
- Contact Us!
Soft Piezoelectric Materials
Soft Piezoelectric Materials
Ideal for Piezo Actuators and Sensors
Ferroelectrically soft piezo ceramic materials can be polarized fairly easily even at relatively low field strengths. This is due to the comparably high domain mobility typical for them. The advantages of soft PZT materials are their large piezoelectric charge coefficient, moderate permittivities and high coupling factors.
Important fields of application for soft piezo ceramics are: Actuators for micropositioning and nanopositioning, sensors, such as conventional vibration detectors, ultrasonic transmitters and receivers, e.g., for flow or level measurement, object identification or monitoring, as well as for electro-acoustic applications as sound transducers and microphones, and also as sound pickups on musical instruments.
PIC151 Standard material for actuators of the PICA Stack/Thru and Piezo Tubes series Material Modified lead zirconate titanate Characteristics High permittivity, large coupling factor, high piezoelectric charge coefficient, relatively high Curie temperature Suitable for Actuators, low-power ultrasonic transducers, low-frequency sound transducers Classification in accordance with EN 50324-1 600 MIL-Standard DOD-STD-1376A II PIC255 Standard material for PICA Power, DuraAct, PICA Shear, and Piezo Tubes series Material Modified lead zirconate titanate Characteristics Very high Curie temperature, moderate permittivity, high coupling factor, high charge coefficient, low mechanical quality factor, low temperature coefficient, relatively high polarity reversal field strength (>1 kV/mm) Suitable for Actuator applications for dynamic operating conditions and high ambient temperatures, low-power ultrasonic transducers, nonresonant broadband systems, force and acoustic pickup sensors Classification in accordance with EN 50324-1 200 MIL-Standard DOD-STD-1376A II PIC155
Material Modified lead zirconate titanate Characteristics Very high Curie temperature, moderate permittivity, low mechanical quality factor, low temperature coefficient, high sensitivity (g coefficients) Suitable for Applications which require a high g coefficient (piezoelectric voltage coefficient), e.g., for microphones and vibration pickups with preamplifier, vibration measurements at low frequencies Classification in accordance with EN 50324-1 200 MIL-Standard DOD-STD-1376A II PIC153 Material for special actuators of the PICA Stack/Thru series and for glued bending actuators Material Modified lead zirconate titanate Characteristics Extremely high permittivity and coupling factors, high charge coefficient, Curie temperature around 185 °C Suitable for Hydrophones, transducers in medical diagnostics and PZT translators Classification in accordance with EN 50324-1 600 MIL-Standard DOD-STD-1376A VI PIC152 Material Modified lead zirconate titanate Characteristics Permittivity with extremely low temperature coefficient Suitable for Force and acceleration transducers Classification in accordance with EN 50324-1 200 MIL-Standard DOD-STD-1376A II
Hard Piezoelectric Materials
High-Performance Material for Ultrasonic Transducers
Ferroelectrically hard PZT materials can be subjected to high electrical and mechanical stresses. Their properties hardly change under these conditions.
The advantages of these materials are their moderate permittivity, large piezoelectric coupling factors, high mechanical qualities, and very good stability under high mechanical loads and operating field strengths. Low dielectric losses facilitate their continuous use in resonance mode with only low intrinsic heating of the component.
Especially high-power acoustic applications benefit from the properties of hard piezo materials. Examples of their fields of application include ultrasonic cleaning (typically in the kHz frequency range), the machining of materials (ultrasonic welding, bonding, drilling, etc.), ultrasonic processors (e.g., to disperse liquid media), the medical sector (ultrasonic tartar removal, surgical instruments, etc.) and sonar technology.
Material Properties and Classification
PIC181 Material Modified lead zirconate titanate Characteristics Extremely high mechanical quality factor, good temperature, and time stability of its dielectric and elasticity constants Suitable for High-power acoustic applications, resonance-mode ultrasonic applications Classification in accordance with EN 50324-1 100 MIL-Standard DOD-STD-1376A I PIC184 Material Modified lead zirconate titanate Characteristics Large electromechanical coupling factor, moderately high quality factor, excellent mechanical and electrical stability Suitable for High-power ultrasound applications, hydroacoustics, sonar technology Classification in accordance with EN 50324-1 100 MIL-Standard DOD-STD-1376A I PIC144 Material Modified lead zirconate titanate Characteristics Large electromechanical coupling factor, high quality factor, excellent mechanical and electrical stability, high compressive resistance Suitable for High-power ultrasound applications, hydroacoustics, sonar technology Classification in accordance with EN 50324-1 100 MIL-Standard DOD-STD-1376A I PIC241 Material Modified lead zirconate titanate Characteristics High mechanical quality factor, higher permittivity than PIC181 Suitable for High-power acoustic applications, piezomotor drives Classification in accordance with EN 50324-1 100 MIL-Standard DOD-STD-1376A I PIC300 Material Modified lead zirconate titanate Characteristics Very high Curie temperature Suitable for Use at temperatures up to 250 °C (briefly up to 300 °C) Classification in accordance with EN 50324-1 100 MIL-Standard DOD-STD-1376A I PIC701 Material Modified bismuth sodium titanate Characteristics Max. operation temperature 230 °C, low density, high coupling factor of the thickness oscillation, low permittivity, and piezoelectric coupling factors compared with conventional PZT materials Suitable for Ultrasonic transducers >1 MHz
Modified Barium Lead Titanate
Barium lead titanates are mainly used in sonar technology and in some therapeutic, ultrasonic medical applications because of their Curie temperature of up to 150°C. As one of the first piezo ceramic that could be industrially manufactured, modified barium lead titanate is today only used manly for maintaining old products. PI Ceramic manufacturs modified barium lead titanates on request.
Thermal Properties Using PZT Ceramic PIC255 as Example
Thermal Properties Using PZT Ceramic PIC255 as Example
The thermal strain exhibits different behavior in the polarization direction and perpendicularly to it.
Nonpolarized piezoceramic elements are isotropic. The coefficient of expansion is approximately linear at a temperature coefficient of approx 2 × 10-6 / K.
The preferred orientation of the domains in a polarized PZT body leads to anisotropy, which is the cause of the varying thermal expansion behavior.
The effect of successive temperature changes must be taken into account in the application. Large changes in the curve can occur particularly in the first temperature cycle.
Depending on the material, it is possible that the curves deviate strongly from those illustrated.
Material PI Ceramic Company A Company B Company C Company D Company E Company F Company G Soft-PZT PIC151 Sonox P51 5600 PZT5J-series NCE56 K500 Soft-PZT PIC152 Sonox P502 NCE53 PZ23 Soft-PZT PIC153 855 Sonox P53 5700 PZT5H1, PZT5H2 NCE55 PZ29 K550 Soft-PZT PIC155 Soft-PZT PIC254 Sonox P504 Soft-PZT PIC255 850 Sonox P5 5500 PZT5A-series NCE51, NCE51f PZ27, P188 K350 Hard-PZT PIC144 840 Sonox P4 5400 PZT400 NCE40, NCE41 PZ26, P762 K270 Hard-PZT PIC181 880 Sonox P8, P88 5800 PZT800 series NCE80, NCE81 PZ28, P189 K278 Hard-PZT PIC184 840 Sonox P4 5400 PZT400 series NCE40 PZ26, P762 K270 Hard-PZT PIC300 Sonox P6
Piezoelectric ActuatorsComponents, Technologies, OperationCAT128 R2CAT128 R2Catalog
PI Piezoelectric Ceramic ProductsFundamentals, Characteristics and ApplicationsCAT125CAT125Certificate
PI Ceramic REACH RegulationCustomer Information in Accordance with Article 33 (1) of the REACH RegulationCertificate
PI Ceramic RoHS StatementRestriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment – RoHS 2011 / 65 / EUDatasheet